Monday, July 12, 2010

The Amazing Transformation of Archie Goodwin – April 2007

The Amazing Transformation of Mr. Archie Goodwin

Or… How Vegas has been better to my dog than it has to me!

Eight months ago I packed up my belongings and my dog and traipsed across Death Valley to the City of Sin. At that time, it was a quest for survival as I watched my thriving little consulting business get choked into oblivion.

Mr. Archie Goodwin had been a sheltered, fat little spoiled Chihuahua. He had a nanny to walk him. He had a neighbor Chihuahua to play with him. He was never required to be socialized beyond the limited contact with the outside world than was absolutely necessary.

Archie had acquired a severe large-dog aggression which stemmed from being attacked by a 2 year old Australian Shepherd in late 2004. From that point on, he was viciously fearful of any and all large dogs. After a time, that aggression branched out to all dogs over 20 pounds. Finally, just before the drive across the desert, it had grown to encompass any dog larger than himself.

When we got to Las Vegas, I immediately began a search for a dog sitter. I had become accustomed to indulging Archie's anti-social behavior. He loved the dog sitter and was pretty much a happy camper for the first 3 months we spent here in Las Vegas.

Around month four, there was a change in our financial situation and I could no longer afford the $125/week it was costing for Archie's dog sitter. I was in PetsMart one day and saw the PetsHotel. I found that it was significantly less money than the dog sitter and it was on the way to my office. My hours had changed and I was now able to drop him at the hotel at 7am each morning.

After the requisite round of shots and vet visits, Archie began day care 2 days a week. Hs first week in Day Care, Archie weighed a whopping 18.6 pounds. I slowly worked him up to 3, then 4 and eventually 5 days a week of day care. This option allowed Archie 1 hour of play time in an air conditioned atrium with other small dogs. At first it was very hard on him – he was essentially forced to socialize with other dogs.

At about the one month mark, Archie started to blossom and become a bit of a social butterfly. So I decided to start introducing some day camp days during the week. I started with 2 days a week in day camp and 3 in day care. I noticed a significant change in him immediately. He was happy, alert, well behaved and healthy. Eventually he worked up to daily day camp and the official social butterfly of the PetsHotel. With 3 girls to keep him company he has become quite the lothario of the Hotel! Archie is not allowed to bark at home – I have a strict "No Barking" policy and have worked hard at instilling the command in him. At the Hotel, however, he barks all day, continuously. It seems to be part of his character!! He still doesn't bark at home, so maybe it's good he gets al the barking out at Day Camp!

At the end of July, Archie had been in Day Care/Camp for a full 4 months and he seemed thinner. One evening after check out, I weighed him and was floored. I took him off the scale and reset the computer – weighed him again – and literally cried out in joy. Archie weighed 12.6 pounds! By mid-August, he has weighed in at 11.4 pounds!!!

I am completely aghast at the transformation. The PetsHotel has changed my angry fat little anti-social dog, in a sleek, loving, well adjusted social butterfly. He is well behaved and very snuggly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment