Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Excuse Me While I Collect Myself - December 2010

Welcome to The Jamaica Inn







After 16 years of “blogging”, from the time when it was called a diary, I have been typing out my thoughts and saving them in a “safe place”.  Although I had been around computer hardware and software since a small child, the machines were simply tools used for the job you did to make money to pay the rent.  The tool as entertainment did not become a fixture in my world until 1994.  Until then, it was something I did at work.

From 1994-1998 there were many incarnations of the blog on sites that have long since bankrupt.  In 1999, while recovering from the first of many surgeries, I established Ona’s Library.  The host was Yahoo Geocities.  I stayed with this blog until Yahoo, as it morphed over the years, shut down 360.  I had been double and triple posting on MySpace and WindowsLive Spaces, but it was The Library that remained up to date and “present”. (Facebook was never an option due to their copyright/privacy issues)

In 2005, Tori Amos released her 8th album, The Bee Keeper”.  One track became an especially dear song, “The Jamaica Inn”.  The lyrics speak strongly to betrayal in Love and in Friendship.
Can you patch my jeans Peggy Ann
just a little stitch to mend the hole he has torn
if you can
maybe I got too set in my ways
he says she reminds him of me when we first met
in those early days

It was the Spring of 2005 that I renamed Ona’s Library “The Jamaica Inn”.  I couldn’t really part with the graphics I had invested in for The Library so I left it alone.  It had become an integral part of my web…. It was how I followed the Data Back Road and I was careful never to erase.
the sexiest thing is trust
I wake up to find the pirates have come


The betrayal of Friendship had long plagued me.  The Issue of Trust has always been central to my relationships.  Betrayed trust has been the basis for the melt down of every relationship and friendship throughout my life.  A confidence broken, a loyalty betrayed.  By this time in 2005, I started asking myself “Are you positive this is a friend?” on a nearly regular basis.  I realized how easily I had allowed myself to follow the course of betrayal, allowing others to betray me, betraying others, and worst, betraying myself.  I was accustomed to the sense that the Wreckers were near, that the Pirates were close at hand
tying up along your coast
how was I to know the pirates have come
between Rebecca’s
beneath your firmaments I have worshipped in the Jamaica Inn

WordPress is now the official home of The Jamaica Inn.  I will be collecting old blogs and entries and adding them to the contents in the coming days & weeks.  16 years is a very large undertaking.
“Are you positive this is a friend?”
the captain grimaced, “Those are cliffs of rock ahead if I’m not mistaken.”

http://thejamaicainn.wordpress.com/

3 comments:

roulette cheats said...

Damn, that sound's so easy if you think about it.

Ruletni system said...

Great idea, thanks for this post!

Reverb10 « The Jamaica Inn said...

[...] Why Jamaica Inn? [...]

Post a Comment